This week 59 years ago, on February 21,1958, Gerald Herbert Holtom created the peace symbol for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. The English artist based his design on signal flags. The semaphore signals for the letters "N" for nuclear and "D" for disarmament was put on display at Britain’s first major demonstration against nuclear weapons. The design has been adopted worldwide as a symbol for peace.
The original sketches for the peace symbol will be part the show People Power: Fighting for Peace next month at the Imperial War Museum in London.