30 Great Concerts Worth the Short Drive to Grand Rapids This Summer
In our neck of the woods, we are partial to catching an outdoor concert at Pine Knob or even Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, but there's another fantastic venue just a short drive away.
Frederick Meijer Garden & Sculpture Park, in Grand Rapids, isn't just a great place to take in some incredible outdoor beauty, but it's also a hot spot for some great entertainment. Just a short drive away, under 2 hours, the picturesque amphitheater is a little unsung gem for many of us on the east side of the state, but well worth the road trip.
The 2023 Fifth Third Bank Summer Concert Series at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is impressive, to say the least with 30 incredible shows scheduled with something for just about everyone. From Peter Frampton to Train, Maren Morris to Three Dog Night, music fans are in for a jam-packed season of entertainment.
This year's line-up, which kicks off June 8th, looks like this:
- Nickel Creek with Gaby Moreno | June 8
- O.A.R. | June 11
- Michael Franti & Spearhead with The Dip | June 15
- Tegan and Sara with Dragonette | June 16
- The Wood Brothers with Shovels & Rope | June 18
- Peter Frampton | June 19
- Lyle Lovett and his Large Band | June 21
- Buddy Guy – Damn Right Farewell with Ally Venable | June 23
- Greensky Bluegrass | June 28
- Umphrey’s McGee | July 2
- Jenny Lewis with Jenny O & Hayden Pedigo | July 10
- Tommy Emmanuel, cgp with The Jerry Douglas Band | July 12
- Trombone Shorty + Mavis Staples | July 19
- Ben Folds with the Grand Rapids Symphony | July 20
- First Aid Kit with The Weather Station | July 21
- Andy Grammar | July 23
- Melissa Etheridge with ZZ Ward | July 24
- Amos Lee with the Grand Rapids Symphony | July 26
- The Revivalists + Band of Horses | July 31
- Orville Peck | Aug. 2
- Boz Scaggs + Keb’ Mo’ | Aug. 3
- Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit with S.G. Goodman | Aug. 6
- Train with Thunderstorm Artis | Aug. 7
- An Evening With Dark Star Orchestra | Aug. 10
- Three Dog Night | Aug. 13
- The Swell Season featuring Markéta Irglová & Glen Hansard | Aug. 17
- Maren Morris with Carter Faith | Aug. 18
- Joss Stone with Stephen Wilson Jr. | Aug. 20
- The Beach Boys | Aug. 21
- Guster | Sept. 15
The amphitheater, which has just about 1900 seats, is a great spot for those looking for a more intimate venue to catch a concert. With a quaint cozy setting, shows tend to sell out quickly so you'll want to grab your favorites as soon as they go on sale.
Members-only pre-sale starts April 22 at 9 a.m. with sales opening to the General Public on May 6 at 9 a.m. Tickets can be purchased at etix.com or by calling 800.514.ETIX (3849).