These 10 Michigan Musicians’ Album Sales Will Top 1B
It is unarguable that Michigan has introduced the world to some of the most successful musicians in history. As a matter of fact, the state of Michigan has produced over 20 big names over the years. Many of which are, and will continue to be, some of the most recognized artists on the planet for years to come.
Obviously record sales are very different today from how they were when musicians like Detroit's own Bill Haley of 'Rock Around the Clock', 'Shake Rattle & Roll', and 'See You Later Alligator' fame dominated the airwaves back in the 1950s.
Not all of the big Michigan musicians to date have been huge names in our opinion, but we have put together what we'd consider the top 10 Michigan musicians. This would be Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Dianna Ross, Glen Frey of the Eagles, Jason Newsted of Metallica, Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, and Smokey Robinson. These 10 names alone have sold over 863 million albums combined.
This number, combined with the remaining Michigan musicians on the list, brings the state to a staggering 961,475,000 total album sales to date. This also proves that these 'top 10 names' are truly that, as they have contributed more than 90% of the total Michigan musician albums sold.
Here are the Top 5 Michigan artists, by album sales, currently:
1) Madonna has sold over 335 million albums to date. This number has cemented her into history, and the Guinness Book of World Records, as the best-selling female recording artist of all time.
2) Stevie Wonder has sold over 100 million albums to date.
3) Diana Ross has sold over 100 million albums to date.
4) Glen Frey (with the help of the Eagles) has sold over 84.6 million albums to date.
5) Jason Newsted (with the help of Metallica) has sold over 67.4 million albums to date. And that is only counting the four Metallica albums he was a part of. Justice For All, Load, Reload, and the Black Album.
These five pictured musical Michiganders have sold a combined 687 million albums worldwide.
And with names like Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, and Smokey Robinson rounding out the Top 10, it is no surprise that these five alone have sold an astonishing 176.7 million albums worldwide.
The final question ... with the number of Michigan musician album sales currently sitting at over 961,475,000 to date, how long will it take before the last 38,525,000 albums have sold bringing the total to over 1 billion 'Michigan Artist Record Sales'? With the names of the artists still on that list, I can't imagine we will have to wait too much longer.