Lapeer Co. Sheriff Offers Thanksgiving Home Safety Tips
The Lapeer County Sheriff is offering tips for keeping your home safe over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
MLive says Sheriff Ron Kalanquin posted the tips of the departments Facebook page. Kalanquin advises removing any fall-related objects that could provide access to the home. An example: "Ladders for cleaning leaves out of the gutters can be used to enter a window or scale a fence."
Other tips include:
- Do not post Thanksgiving travel plans on social media that may alert others you aren't home.
- Turn down the home telephone ringer so repeated ringing cannot be heard from outside.
- Make sure all mail is picked up by a relative, friend or neighbor.
- Secure all windows, even on the second floor, and clear away tree branches that may obscure any views of the home's windows.
- Use timers to operate lights at your home.
For more tips, click here.